Dr Luci Wiggs BSc DPhil CPsychol
Reader in Psychology
Luci is a Reader in Psychology and Subject Coordinator for the MSc in Psychology. She teaches on a range of undergraduate and postgraduate modules, primarily in the area of developmental and abnormal psychology.
Luci is a chartered psychologist who conducts clinical research into sleep, its disorders and treatments and the effects of sleep disruption on daytime functioning. She has focussed on the sleep patterns of children and adolescents and their families, taking a special interest in children with developmental disorders. She is currently an Associate Editor for the Journal of Sleep Research. She has previously served for many years as a board member of the British Sleep Society’s Executive and Scientific Committees and the European Paediatric Sleep Group as well as chairing the European Sleep Research Society’s Education Committee and the British Sleep Society Paediatric Group.
Stores G. and Wiggs L.(Ed.) (2001) Sleep Disturbance in Disorders of Development: Its Significance and Management. London: MacKeith Press.
Wiggs L (2012) Sleep Disturbance and Learning Disability. In: Morin, C. M. and Espie, C. (2012). The Oxford Handbook of Sleep and Sleep Disorders. New York: Oxford University Press. Pp 765-797
Wiggs L (2007) Sleep Disorders. In: A Carr, J McEvoy, GE O’Reilly, M Keegan (eds) 'The Handbook of Intellectual Disability and Clinical Psychology Practice'. London: Brunner-Routledge. 371-421.
Montgomery P and Wiggs L. Definitions of sleeplessness in children with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): implications for mothers' mental state, daytime sleepiness and sleep-related cognitions. Child Care Health Dev. 2014 Jun 12. doi: 10.1111/cch.12165. [Epub ahead of print]
Gringras P, Green D, Wright B, Rush C, Sparrowhawk M, Pratt K, Allgar V, Hooke N, Moore D, Zaiwalla Z and Wiggs L. (2014) Weighted Blankets and Sleep in Autistic Children - A randomised controlled trial. Pediatrics, 134(2), 298-306.
Johnson CR, Turner KS, Foldes E, Brooks MM, Kronk R, Wiggs L (2013) Behavioral parent training to address sleep disturbances in young children with autism spectrum disorder: a pilot trial. Sleep Medicine;14(10) DOI:10.1016/j.sleep.2013.05.013
Gringras P, Gamble C, Jones AP, Wiggs L, Williamson PR, Sutcliffe A, Montgomery P, Whitehouse W, Choonara I, Allport T, Emond A, Appleton R on behalf of the MENDS Study Group. A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial of Melatonin for sleep problems in children with Neurodevelopmental Disorders. British Medical Journal, 345 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.e6664 (Published 5 November 2012)
Johnson CR, Turner KS, Foldes EL, Malow BA and Wiggs L (2012) Comparison of sleep questionnaires in the assessment of sleep disturbances in children with autism spectrum disorders . Sleep Medicine. 13, 795-801
Wiggs L. (2012) Dealing with co-morbid sleep disorders in paediatrics. Are we doing enough? Neuropsychiatry, 2(6), 487–495.
Barnett AL & Wiggs L (2011) Sleep behaviour in children with developmental co-ordination disorder. Child: care, health and development, 38, 403-411.
Gregory, A.M., Willis, T.A., Wiggs, L. Harvey, A. G. and the STEPS team. (2008). Pre-sleep arousal and sleep disturbances in children. Sleep, 31, 1745-1747.
Wiggs L (2007) Are children getting enough sleep? Implications for parents. Sociological Research Online, Volume 12, Issue 5, http://www.socresonline.org.uk/12/5/13.html
Wiggs L, Montgomery P, Stores G (2005) Actigraphic and parent reports of sleep patterns and sleep disorders in children with subtypes of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Sleep, 28, 1281-1289.
Wiggs L and Stores G (2004) Sleep patterns and sleep disorders in children with autistic spectrum disorders. Insights using parent report and actigraphy. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, 46, 372-380.
Publications from RADAR
- Illingworth, M, MacLean, M, Wiggs, L (2016) Maternal mind-mindedness: stability over time and consistency across relationships. European Journal of Developmental Psychology, 13 (4). pp. 488-503. [summary page]
- Wiggs, L, Sparrowhawk, M, Barnett, A (2016) Parent Report and Actigraphically Defined Sleep in Children with and without Developmental Coordination Disorder; Links with Fatigue and Sleepiness. Frontiers in Pediatrics, 4 (81). [summary page]
- Gringas, P, Gamble, C, Jones, A, Wiggs, L, Williamson, P, Sutcliffe, A, Montgomery, C, Whitehouse, P, Choonara, I, Allport, T, Edmond, A, Appleton, R (2012) Melatonin in the treatment of sleeplessness in children with neurodevelopmental disabilities: a randomised controlled trial. BMJ, 345 pp. e6664. [summary page]
- Barnett, A, Wiggs, L (2011) Sleep behaviour in children with developmental co-ordination disorder. Child: Care, Health and Development, 38 (3). pp. 403-411. [summary page]
- Barnes, J, Connelly, V, Wiggs, L, Boubert, L, Maravic, K (2010) Sleep patterns in Parkinson’s Disease patients with visual hallucinations. International Journal of Neuroscience, 120 (8). pp. 564–569. [summary page]
- Triantafyllopoulou, P, Wiggs, L, Bunce, L (2010) Sleep difficulties in adults with ID: personal and parental perception. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 23 (5). pp. 519-519. [summary page]
- Wiggs, L (2009) Behavioural aspects of children’s sleep. Archives of disease in childhood, 94 (1). pp. 59-62. [summary page]
- Gregory, A M, Willis, T A, Wiggs, L, Harvey, A G, Harvey, STEPS team (2008) Presleep arousal and sleep disturbances in children. Sleep, 31 (12). pp. 1745-1747. [summary page]